Tuesday 30 August 2011

Modern Times


  It's been a while since I've done a proper blog post, so I thought it high time I did one. The push to get THE SPIRIT OF THE MOON into the hands of, well, the world continues at a slow pace. Marketing a product is hard at the best of times, but when it's a book, it's especially hard. The publishing industry is going through a lot of change, like most entertainment mediums. There have been various reports that the EBOOK is going to overrun print in the near future. I wonder sometimes, who does that serve when corporations are pushing a product so hard that will inevitably save them a lot of money and cost the jobs of many people within the publishing industry? From my short experience in selling my first book, people and children in particular, want REAL books...books you can hold, and cherish and put on your shelf and dog ear if you want. I personally hate reading books on screens. I loose that tactile connectivity with the story. An EReader doesn't give me that sensation. It never will. Buy books in the medium you want to read them in, from where ever you want to buy them. If you buy most of your books online, occasionally go to a book store and purchase one from there. Shops have supported the book trade for years. Why should the future change that now?

* The Book Launch went exceedingly well. We had newspaper and television coverage which was a good thing. I never got the chance to talk to everyone. The two hours went so quick and being pulled this way and that there was no chance to see everyone. I want to personally thank all who attended and special shout out to my wife Wendy and our friends for the organisation. I couldn't have done it without you all. Pictures of the event will be arriving soon.

* The sequel to THE SPIRIT OF THE MOON called THE MONSTER IN THE BASEMENT (originally it was 'my' not  'the') will be released 30/01/12 about 11 months before the Mayan calendar ends and we all proceed to oblivion. I will be bunkered down for the next few months finishing the draft and looking a little something like this:



But that's OK. Writing is a crazy game.

* Books! Books! and more Books!

What I'm reading at the moment or have read recently:

Supergods by Grant Morrison
The Autobiography of Charlie Chaplin by funnily enough, Charlie Chaplin
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
Starman Omnibus Volume 1 by James Robinson and Tony Harris
 and other stuff to numerous to mention!

Have a good time always!

Cheers,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment