Tuesday 16 August 2011

INTERVIEW: MRS WELLINGTON FROM 'THE SPIRIT OF THE MOON'


...After I concluded my interview with Mr Wellington, I found his wife tending to her rose garden outside their small, cosy, cottage. Her rose bushes were in full bloom...I had never seen so many different colours of flowers before, so I started off by asking her about the garden...

JOHN: You obviously enjoy gardening Mrs Wellington. How did you manage to grow so many different varieties of roses? I’ve never seen some of the colours you have here. They seem almost impossible... 

MRS WELLINGTON: Other than my husband, magic and my patron, the Moon Goddess, gardening is the number one joy of my life. I have cultivated and grown these roses for a number of decades now. I use the petals in many magic potions, depending on which ones I need. I have hybrids and varieties of roses that have never been seen by the world at large. Some of my plants do not even come from this world, or so I am told. 

JOHN: Did you always want a life of adventure? You seem quite content to stay at home...(Mrs Wellington contemplates her answer for a moment. She seems lost in a sad world until her reply...)

MRS WELLINGTON: If I am to answer truthfully, I must so no, I did not. But two events changed the course of my life and for that I am grateful. 

JOHN: And what were those events? 

MRS WELLINGTON: I would tell you John, but you seem to be more interested in Facebook at the moment. Shall we continue at another time of your convenience? (...I was talking to a friend on Facebook. I see Mrs Wellington doesn’t miss anything...) 

JOHN: Sorry, Mrs Wellington. Modern conveniences can be annoying sometimes (I say, blushing). You were saying?

MRS WELLINGTON: Firstly, when I was a young girl many years ago and the Moon Goddess chose me to become her magical ward on Earth. I could not refuse her call to magic and the patronage she was willing to convey on me. When the call comes and your life must change forever, you mustn’t refuse. And of course, the day I laid eyes on my husband. He was so young and dashing and full of magic. How could I refuse? Thus, my life of adventure began.

JOHN: What’s the scariest monster you’ve ever faced? 

MRS WELLINGTON: You have to be careful with any monster you face. I do, however, have a particular loathing for any creature that has any connection to snakes and spiders. The undead weary me as well. I nearly gave up my life of adventure after our honeymoon. 

JOHN: That would be the Haitian adventure Mr Wellington told me about? 

MRS WELLINGTON: Yes, zombies on your honeymoon is not the most pleasant experience, I can tell you. 

JOHN: But you survived, obviously...Did your life change after that experience?

MRS WELLINGTON: Well, yes. That was the moment I realised there are a great more strangeness in the world, than I had anticipated. Under the beds of children, in the black forests of many nations, lie dark things that want to come out at night and hurt innocent people. I knew it was the mission Mr Wellington and I were given; to help those in most need. 

JOHN: That would seem like a burden to most people? 

MRS WELLINGTON: It is in a way, John, but one I happily accept. 

JOHN: Thank you for your time Mrs Wellington. (..Before I left the cottage, Mrs Wellington presented me with the bluest roses I had ever seen in my life. She told me they never die and were created to help those in most need ( I didn’t really understand what she meant by that, but I gladly accepted the gift). She wished me luck in my writing career and said she would cast a spell of good fortune for me and my family. I thanked her and hoped to see them both again one day...)  

No comments:

Post a Comment