Monday 15 August 2011

INTERVIEW: MR WELLINGTON from THE SPIRIT OF THE MOON


...Recently I sat down with the cast of my new book ‘THE SPIRIT OF THE MOON.’ First to be interviewed was the ever charming and amiable, Mr Wellington. I flew to Great Britain and visited him and his wife in their cottage at an undisclosed location in the English countryside. This interview takes place in his study...

JOHN: Thanks for taking the time to speak to me, Mr Wellington.

MR WELLINGTON: My pleasure, old boy. Did you have a safe journey?

JOHN: Yes, although the flight from Australia takes too long. But not to worry.
(Mr Wellington takes out a pipe and lights the tobacco. He takes a puff and the smoke has a sweet, alluring smell.)

MR WELLINGTON: Hmmph, well, that’s the problem with machines. They are too slow compared with magic. My wife and I have definitely learnt the art of ‘disappearing’ from venue to venue very well.

JOHN: And that leads me onto my first question...when did you first learn to use magic?

MR WELLINGTON: Interesting question, that one. My family come from a long line of ‘Magical’ people...warlocks, wizards, shamans and such. When I became of age at about thirteen...

JOHN: What year was this?

MR WELLINGTON: Good lord! We’re talking late eighteenth century? Hard to remember dates when you’ve lived for this long. Time becomes irrelevant. As I was saying at the age of thirteen, you are put through an initiation of sort, a trial you might say, that puts you on the path from becoming a Master to a fully fledged Mr Magician.

JOHN: Do you remember what happened?

MR WELLINGTON: Like it was yesterday. My Father, a stern, old Magician, sent me into a cave. I walked and walked through the cave, pitch black until I came to an opening on the other side. I didn’t realise at the time, but I was in the Northlands of the old gods. I had a rollicking good adventure and earned my magical stripes, that’s for sure. Maybe there is a book in it for you John? What do you say? Up for a commission?

JOHN: Sounds like an interesting story. How about ‘Mr Wellington and the Gods of the North’ as a title?

(At this point, Mrs Wellington brings in a pot of raspberry tea. Mr Wellington kisses her on the hand as he thanks her. She leaves the room.)

JOHN: You and Mrs Wellington have been married for quite some time and shared many adventures. Can you relate your first adventure together?

MR WELLINGTON: Certainly. I will say it was absolutely extraordinary! We were on our honeymoon in Haiti. I wanted to take my new wife somewhere exotic, somewhere beautiful. Which it all was, of course. But what I forgot to mention to Mrs Wellington was the trouble the islanders were having with the Scorpion God and his Voodoo Queen. Imagine trying to outwit a scorpion god and a horde of hungry zombies whilst fighting the dark incantations of the Voodoo Queen. It was quite a thrill, I assure you.  We learnt a great deal from that first adventure and cemented our futures together as Magical adventures.

JOHN: You certainly have had many adventures in your life. What advice would you give to any child who wanted to follow in your footsteps and have their own magical adventures?

MR WELLINGTON: I would certainly caution against rushing into magic. It is certainly not an art that you can rush into willy nilly. There are things to consider on the magical path. It can be dangerous and exhausting and it’s not for everyone. I will say however it has changed my life for the better. I have seen and done things never thought possible. Talking with Gods and Devils, other worlds...extraordinary! If you must follow my path, do it with caution. And have a jolly good time with it too.

JOHN: Thank you for your time Mr Wellington. It’s been an honour.

MR WELLINGTON: Any excuse to talk, old boy. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment